Five Things to Do Right Away
1. Volunteer. Now, you may be thinking, "I don't have the time to volunteer," but it's a great way to feel good about yourself right away. And if you are short on time or don't want to waste gas driving somewhere, there's a great solution for you would-be do-gooders out there. The United Nations has a website where you can research and sign up for online volunteer assignments based on your interests and the amount of time you can devote to a project. You can make a difference on a worldwide scale - and never get out of your pajamas.
2. Exercise regularly. I definitely don't advocate this because of the weight-loss obsession - there are a lot of other reasons to exercise regularly. For example, the number one killer of women is not cancer, but heart disease. Do something three days a week that gets your heart rate up for 30 minutes or more. Anything! And as an added bonus, you'll have more energy, and you'll look more toned.
3. Drink water. I used to not drink water so much, but as soon as I started to, I noticed I was thirsty more. This is the body craving water! I keep a bottle on my desk at work now, and every time I feel a little dry I take a drink. I end up drinking about four bottles of water a day. It's good for your complexion, your health and it will help you not retain water when you have water-retaining moments.
4. Eat fruits and veggies. The government says five servings of fruits and vegetables per day is best, and the better news is that it actually helps to prevent certain kinds of cancers. Not only that, but natural sugars give you more energy than refined sugars, and they won't make you fat. So instead of starting your day with a sugary cereal, have a piece of fruit, or order a salad with your dinner. All those nutrients will have great effects on your general health and well-being.
5. Clean out your closet. All that jumbled mess in there not only clutters your space, but it ends up cluttering your mind, too. It's a little bit of control in an uncontrollable world. You'll also discover that the sweater you loved years ago that went out of style is now back in style, so you can create whole new outfits. It will also make it easier to get dressed in the morning if you don't have to stand there for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to put on. Those 20 minutes are better spent in bed.