Tuesday, July 11, 2006

First Date

Ellie writes, "Hey, I was wondering if you could help me with a dressing problem. Basically, I'm about to go on my first date, and I was wondering what I should wear, with clothes and makeup and hair and everything. I'm too large for stretchy, but not so large that I have to wear baggy clothes... Anyway, I hope you can help me."

Take a style tip from Jessica Alba, Ellie: A structured, but simple top; dark jeans; and a pair of cute shoes.


First off, I've gotta say it: Isn't it great when the background matches your outfit? Now if only the street were red... They should have rolled out the red carpet for Jessica!

Seriously though, this outfit works. The top is simple, but with enough details to make it interesting, figure flattering, and a step above a normal t-shirt. (I know what you're thinking: everything is flattering on Jessica Alba! She's been looking a little too skinny for my taste, but this outfit doesn't accentuate jutting clavicles or razor-sharp shoulder blades, which I appreciate.)

Let your top highlight some of your best features. Wear a color that matches your eyes, a v-neck or scoop neck that shows off your décolletage (without busting out too much cleavage), or a sleeveless blouse (like this one) that accentuates slender arms.

The jeans are very cute (the darker the jeans, the classier and slimmer you look), and I love her shiny, red shoes. Both the shoes and the bold bag add a nice shot of color. Wear your hair and make-up in a natural, unfussy style like her. Play up your lips or eyes with a smokey eyeliner or berry lip color. Choose jewelry that makes you feel comfortable and beautiful without being so bold and outlandish that it frightens your date.

This is a perfect low-key first day outfit. Enough pizzazz to show you have style, but not so much you scare your date away. Most guys don't "get" fashion, so don't feel like you have to wow him with something uber trendy. Just dress simply to flatter your figure, be yourself and have fun!

Photo courtesy of Hollywood Rag.