Friday, December 23, 2005

What to wear to a Broadway Show in the winter

iheartpink asks:

I have a question for you, I am going to a Broadway show (Wicked to be exact in case you know anything about it) over the holidays with my boyfriend and his parents. I was wondering: what is the appropriate attire to wear to the show? I know it is December and New York is just as cold as it is here in Boston so I wasn't sure if a dress would be right or not. So if you have any advice that would be great! To give you some help, I should let you know I am 22 and very, very small. Thanks bunches!




Well, Pink,
It used to be that going to a concert or a play of any kind was call for dressing to the nines. Not anymore! I've seen people at the performing arts in blue jeans, though I'd never recommend this attire myself. I'm a musician and recognize the time that goes into getting ready for a performance. Out of respect to the performers you should dress up at least a little bit.
Being warm is the key for this kind of event, especially in New York! I personally love this outfit from Ann Taylor Loft. It's cozy, it's glamorous, and it looks great. Click on the link to see the separate pieces of the outfit--a pair of basic pants, a yummy soft sweater, and a killer jacket. You probably already have items like that in your closet. If not, this may be a good time to splurge!



Since you're really small, you may want a more streamlined coat. I adore this green coat, also from Ann Taylor. (By the way, Ann Taylor, we should be getting PAID to promote you as often we do. Call us!)

You could wear a dress, but in this kind of weather, I wouldn't unless you have a really heavy coat to wear over it. It'll be warm in the theatre, but depending on how long you have to wait for a cab, you may regret it!

Have fun! Broadway musicals are a blast. I've been wanting to see Wicked for some time. I'm so jealous!