Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Great Coats Under $100

Adrian wrote: "Any good coats for $100? I was thinking about getting her that."

The answer is an enthusiastic yes! And by the way, what a great gift idea. The perfect coat is a treasure all season, and now is the best time to buy them. They've been on the shelves for a while, so you'll start to see some great sales if you know where to look. If you'll remember I recently attempted to buy a trenchcoat to go away to London with, and found nothing but dismay at H&M. Much to my elatement I found a similar coat at my old favorite, Old Navy! Not only did I find a good fit, but it was also cheaper. And now you can get that coat marked down from its original bargain price of $78 to a remarkable $59.50. That's such a good price that if you were looking to spend around $100 on her you could even get her a matching scarf and glove combo and still have money leftover to get a pretzel in the food court. The ON is a great place for low-priced coats, and they have lots of styles and colors to choose from.

A good option for low-priced coats is Burlington Coat Factory, which has been a staple of mine for a while. The best part about BCF is that you can get name brand coats there, and no one needs to know you got it for a steal (although it's nice to be able to brag). I once got a Columbia coat there for around $80, which as far as I know is unheard of anywhere else. Those are not crappy coats. In any regard, if you have a glam girl to buy for, you can get her this Baby Phat faux-fur-lined jacket for a mere $55. That's a great deal when you consider it retails for around $150. I don't know how they do it. I just hope I don't find out later I'm buying someone else's used coats. For now I have no knowledge of that kind of trickery, so I'm going to continue to look for coats there when winter comes along.

There are plenty of other places where you can buy a good coat for less than $100. You might want to check the mall for stores that sell coats. As I said, the sales on outerwear are going on now, so you're definitely bound to get a nice coat for your girlfriend for a great price.