Monday, October 24, 2005

A Defense of Flats

As we've mentioned before, Las F are in many ways different. Noting that, I'm going to take a slight exception with F.Cali's heels only policy. I wholeheartedly agree that a heel does something to legs that flats just can't achieve, and under most circumstances if I'm not wearing a heel, I'm at least wearing a wedge or something similar. There are those times, however, when my feet are sore, or I'll be doing a lot of walking, or dancing, and a heel is just not going to cut the mustard. For those times, and in an effort not to ever resort to tennis shoes, I recommend dressy flats.

Why not tennis shoes? Unless they're cute sneakers, it's best to stay away. It will immediately drag your outfit down into below-casual, and they are probably the most unflattering shoe you could wear, aside from hideous clogs. They should be saved for when you're engaging in a sporting event, or running a marathon. Otherwise, an actual shoe is in order. Cute sneakers, as I said, are an exception, and I most certainly did not mean colored Keds. That is never the answer, unless the question is, "How can I dress more like a soccer mom?" The Diesels at left are a great example of what to wear if you're going for comfort. The unusual colors don't bore the people looking at you, and with the myriad varieties out there, you are sure to find a pair that expresses you perfectly. On a side note, I saw a girl in the mall this weekend wearing those hideous garden clogs in bright pink, and I wanted to stop her and say, "There's something you need to read..." People are wearing them, folks.

Let's say, however, that you're not in the mood to wear sneakers, but heels are a daunting thought. Dressy flats are your new best friend, and I advocate buying these in colorful, patterned styles to express yourself with. The good news is that flats have really experienced a renaissance, and stores are selling all types nowadays, including Oriental, Native American and ballet flats. That's right, kids, they're not just for librarians anymore (i.e. penny loafers). I am in deep smit with the shoes at right, available at our favorite discount haven, Target. Could they be any more comfortable? And with all that shiny, satiny material, they are not just for casual occasions. You could go out to dinner in these shoes! If you really can't bring yourself to slide flats onto your feet, but you're interested in trying them out, you might consider a kitten heel flat. They'll give you some of the sexy leg effect without readjusting your spine.