Wednesday, September 28, 2005

South of the Border-wear

A reader, who signed his post Bx, commented recently with the following conundrum: what's to be done about summer fashion in the southern hemisphere? It's a good question, and a tough one - we in the north are thinking about fall and, yes, even winter already. I would love a nice getaway, even a mental one, so if I were packing for a Brazilian holiday, these are the clothes I might bring.

Bx mentioned Bermuda shorts as a hot item, and they were pretty hot here, too. In my opinion, these longer shorts only tend to flatter stick-figure women. The Bermudas being sold today are very narrow-legged - wide leg Bermuda shorts become coulottes, and that is very last century. Also, fuller figured ladies might find that Bermuda shorts bulk up the thigh area, and so believe it or not, I'd recommend a shorter short. Personally, I never wear shorts; I find they never flatter my body. I instead opt for above-the-knee skirts. As far as the shorts go, I love colored denim Bermudas, such as the ones pictured from Polo.

Also mentioned in the comment that he and his cronies were disappointed that women were covering more, and I agree that it seems to be the trend. I think this is because women are trying to recall earlier eras, such as the 60s, and the age of reckless abandon is now over. Fashion, as well as many other things, are becoming more sedate. When it comes to bathingsuits, however, I am not a fan of covering up. When I go to the beach, it's a suit and flip flops, and that's it. Walking around in anything else loses the purpose of the whole beach thing. A lot of girls I know say they don't feel comfortable with just a bathingsuit on, and feel fat. I say there is nothing wrong with your body, no matter who you are, and as long as you wear a flattering suit, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Now, that also means that if you are a big, hairy man then a speedo is not for you! Women should pick a suit that flatters them for their size and shape, be they thin or heavy. The reverse of this is - just because you are skinny doesn't mean you absolutely must wear a bikini or look like a prude in a one-piece, like the one above. There are some great one-pieces out there with embellishments or cutouts that are not only sexy but give you a little mystery. It's like Jerry Seinfeld said: men are intrigued by whatever we cover. If we always wore hats, scalps would be the sought-after peek. Just be proud of you.

Now, he also mentioned thongs and lycra pants. I don't think I have to make a big thing of this - don't do it. There needs to be something said of modesty. Try it.