Monday, June 05, 2006

Product Review: Bourjois Liquid Eyeliner and Bourjois Wet/Dry Eye Shadow in #34


I've seen Bourjois in Sephora, but I'd never tried any of their products until recently. Upon a recommendation from the DeLush gals, I purchased their liquid eye liner. That was four months ago--and the eyeliner is still going strong. I've discovered that good liquid eyeliners are hard to find, but they're an invaluable tool if, like me, you're trying to make your eyes look wider. While it takes awhile to learn the trick of application, a thin line of liquid liner right next to the lash line will make your lashes appear thicker, creating a widening effect around the eyes. What makeup maven doesn't want that?

The Bourjois liner is exceptional, and it's reasonably priced (for Sephora, anyway). After four solid months of use my brush has started to wear down a little bit, but the look I can achieve is well worth it. I normally apply the liner right after my eyeshadow and before my mascara. The liner lasts well all day despite a little fading. You can also make really thick lines or thin, natural lines--it's all in the control of application.

Bottom line? This is a must-have for gals who like to create wide-eyed, long lash looks.




Since I had such luck with the liner, I decided to try the Wet/Dry Eye Shadow. I was particularly intrigued by color #34, Rose Tentation (Pink Temptation). It's hard to tell from the website, but this color is really iridescent! It's a great combination of pink, green, and gold that varies depending on the light. I just had to try it.

The first thing I noticed about this eyeshadow is that it's compressed much more tightly than my usual Stila shadows. The problem with metallic shadows is that they are much more fragile than mattes. You have to be careful with them to avoid shattering. I recently lost one of my favorite Stila shadows (in Kitten) this way. They just aren't that durable.

I doubt I'll have that problem with this Bourjois shadow. It seems really tight in the holder, and the plastic case is both durable and portable. The shadow comes with a tiny sponge applicator as well.

It took me awhile to figure out how to maximize the rainbow color effect of this shadow, but by far the best way is to apply it with a wet sponge applicator. It lasts longer this way, too. The shadow wears well throughout the day.

This is a great all-around shadow in a color most people can wear, and I'd definitely buy other shades.