Monday, October 03, 2005

Fall Fashion - Your Basic Artillery

"Save me, I've overdosed on hair and makeup!"

I can really respond to a cheeky monkey like Caitlyn. She, and many other budding fashionistas out there, would like to know what is going to be big for the fall. I can tell you now that the poncho and Uggs are already out, which is disappointing for me because I own both. The Uggs will still make the scene, but they will be what I wear to get to work on snowy days. The poncho may as well line my cat's bed. It was one of those cutsey trends that really looked good at the time, but it's as if the world woke up from that dream and now it's back to reality. So what should you stock up on now?

My favorite part of autumn is that you can layer all your favorite pieces to make one stunning outfit. Start buying some good, cheap layering pieces to put under the few expensive ones you buy. Don't be afraid to experiment with color, either. Accent your main pieces in deep, rich colors with some accesories in brighter colors. You can also still wear your tank tops - they are great for layering, especially a tank with some girly embellishments. The tank at left is a great example - it was darling with your peasant skirt in the summer, but it can make it into fall as well. The mainstream will say to pair it with a blazer, but we say it would look fantastic layered under a plain, long-sleeved shirt with a pair of jeans. It can do many things, don't limit it.

You should also start building your stock of opaque tights. Remember how I mentioned previously that I loved wearing skirts in the summer? Well, I can't lay off them in the fall or winter, either. There is no such thing, however, as pantyhose in my closet. I hate them - they are boring and I only have to wear them once to get runs in them. What better solution than opaque tights? They come in all kinds of fall-friendly colors, and can extend those skirts into fall. Make sure, however, that you stick with heavier fabrics, like denim or corduroy, for fall skirts. A linen skirt, no matter what leggings you wear, is out of place. Oh, and please spare me the legwarmers. Whose idea was bringing back the legwarmer? It's ridiculous. Last winter I saw a gaggle of teenage girls at the mall wearing micro-mini-skirts, bulky-knit sweaters, scarves, legwarmers, and flip flops. I wanted to scream. If it's cold enough to require leg coverings, wear pants, or cover your entire leg. What do you really think you're accomplishing with the legwarmer? It drives me crazy.

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is to do something you should have done a long time ago. Go out and buy a winter accessory set. Get a pair of gloves, a hat and a scarf that matches, for pete's sake, and that also goes with whatever winter coat you're going to be wearing. Extra-long, thin scarves you can wrap around your neck a couple of times are the thing, so be on the lookout for that. As far as the hat goes, buy something that you'll actually want to wear, but that will keep the heat in. You don't have to get a boring old skullcap. Hats like the one at left are the look in headgear this year, so why not rock that? As for your hands, if you're tired of your Isotoners, how about a cute pair of knit mittens? You could even put your brand-new knitting skills to use and make a set, as some of our readers suggested. Mismatched accessories, however, just make you look sloppy, so get it together now so you're ready all season long.