Thursday, February 15, 2007

Product Review: e.l.f. Eye Brightening Eyeshadow


Some of you have asked about e.l.f. products, the new drugstore brand that only costs $1 for everything they sell. Out of curiosity I decided to take you up on the challenge, and I'll start with the Butternut Eyeshadow Quad.

I should preface this review by saying that I normally avoid drugstore brands (except for my Oil of Olay Regenerist face wash and my Revlon lipsticks, which far outrank their expensive counterparts). Generally I don't have good results with drugstore makeup, and I'm just disappointed by the inferior quality. Needless to say, my standards weren't high when I ordered the eyeshadow. Still, for $1, it's hard to go wrong, right?

My first observation was that the eyeshadow case is small. It's actually quite dinky, which is a bit of a disappointment. There's simply not a lot of eyeshadow there. I used a simple white eyeshadow as a base from lash to brow, and then I applied the e.l.f. shadows.

I have to say I'm impressed! The shadows are relatively matte, and they actually do brighten my eyes. They lasted with little to no touchup all day and they didn't smudge, crease, or disappear.

They are nothing fancy; they're low-shine and are kind of nondescript on your eyes, but after using them for a week I've decided that this is a strength. Instead of high-octane shine, the shadows draw subtle attention to your eyes. It's something like the 'less is more' approach. They could work for a fancy occasion; as I write this on Saturday the 10th of February, I'm wearing them in preparation for the symphony this evening.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this product. I will definitely continue to use it and I'd buy it again. Check it out--it's well worth the $1 despite its diminutive size!

Note: We're taking tomorrow and Monday off--we need some beauty rest! Have a great weekend!