Wednesday, November 02, 2005

When to be a big spender: Beauty Splurges that are worth it

I spent years buying the cheapest beauty supplies I could find, but once I graduated from college, I discovered the wonder that is high-end cosmentics. The age-old adage that you get what you pay for seldom rings more true than in the world of beauty supplies. But which items should you buy? The following list is based on my experiences. Ever wondered if that nice blush was worth the $20 you were contemplating paying? Yeah, me too.





1. F.Y...Eye Eyeshadow base
I've promoted this product before, but it deserves a second plug. It's the best ever.









2. Good lipstick There really is a difference between more expensive lipstick and the drugstore variety. I recommend buying at least one nice shade of lipstick. You won't regret the purchase.







3. Eyeshadow that wears well Drugstore eyshadows tend to feather and wear off quickly, but I've never tried them with an eyeshadow base. Use your discretion. If you fall in love with an expensive eyeshadow, stick with it. If you're sold on the drugstore variety, then stick with that. But get a base--it'll save you time with reapplication. EXCEPTION: I've found that Almay eyeshadows are the best for understated, everday wear. They last a bit longer than most drugstore brands and are hypoallergenic.




4. Foundation This goes without saying, girls. A good foundation-one that adequately matches your skin tones-is very hard to come by. It's worth the addtional expense. Foundation will stay on your pretty face for the majority of the day. It protects your face from sun, dirt, and other impurities. If your skin doesn't react well to the foundation you choose then you're sure to have a breakout.





5. A good color job If you're going to color, see a professional. The purpose of any hair color is to enhance your natural beauty. I was at a restaurant once and saw a woman who was trying to be blonde. The reason why I say 'trying' was because her hair was THREE different shades of blonde, getting progressively lighter as you went up from her neck. Yikes! A good stylist is worth every penny.