Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Curly Hair Woes, Or, Embracing Your Curly Self


Amy writes:

So I have a weird problem... my hair is really curly in front (I have tiny ringlets to about my ears) but only slightly wavy in back! It won't stay straight, but it won't be curly either!




Amy, I feel your pain! My hair is the same way. If I let it air dry it gets all frizzy without being really curly. Because of this you need to take more drastic measures to get the uniform look you want. Just remember that most girls have to do something with their hair, even if they swear they do nothing. :-)

In other words, "wash and wear" is not a viable option. However, if you follow my advice, you'll have the wash and wear gals seething with envy!

First of all, how much time do you have in the mornings? If you just want to air dry your hair, then find a good curl enhancing shampoo. Trythis one, about $10. Then scrunch a good curl enhancing product into you hair, such as Marc Anthony's Curl Polishing Serum. Squeeze the product onto your hands and then scrunch it throughout your hair. DON'T directly apply it to the hair as this will weigh it down. You can also use a diffuser.



If you want to spend a little more time, then break out the hot rollers. I've been using them for years and I love the results they produce. Since your hair has some natural wave you'll be fortunate enough to have long-lasting curls. Blow your hair dry using a leave-in conditioner, then spray a bit at the end of each strand of hair you curl. Use your blow-dryer's cool setting all over your hair once it's in curlers as this will help close the hair shaft and make your curls shiny.

Above all, don't be upset that your hair won't go straight. I had to endure YEARS of going against all the straight hair trends because my hair will take any shape as long as it's not straight. Enjoy your curly girliness!